wired for sound

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Week 4 - David Harris Composition

CREATIVE COMMUNICATION

What I found interesting is 'zero crossing'. I've never really thought about it. If there is a glitch I generally try and fade the sample in or out to get rid of the problem. I will look into using 'snap to zero' option now.1

The other thing I found interesting was about normalisation and leaving some headroom. I don't normally do this but I think I will start trying to normalise only to 90%. 2

AUDIO ARTS

This was interesting because I volunteered to set up the studio. I forgot some things but remembered eventually. It's not that hard. Good to learn more. I wish we had more than 50 mins a week on that stuff. I find it frustrating that we have such a limited time. I would rather skip classical theory and spend more time in the studio. But I know the theory is good and I should grit my teeth and do it.

DAVID HARRIS - Workshop

I arrived part way through because I got held up at work. I came in on Jack Vees composition "Surf music II". 3

http://www.leisureplanetmusic.com/composer/vees/bio.htm 4

I didn't know it was called surf music but I had this image in my mind of sand dunes and the ocean. A bleak and desolate location. Windswept. Seemed like a nice place, far away from other people!

While I was listening I came up with a new instrument. I am going to work on its design and implementation. All I can say is that instead of picking up the instrument and playing, you will have to climb inside it to play it. Essentially the performer will be required to become the 'heart' of the instrument.

FORUM

David Harris' "Piano Piece '91" was interesting. I wrote a similar composition last year where I hit two keys on the keyboard as hard and fast as I could. I did this twice for two minutes and then blended the result. I really enjoyed the melodies and harmonics. That's what I enjoyed about Dave's piece. 5

I am relieved to see, and hear, that composers seem to be free to do whatever they want. I was afraid that I would end up composing classical music if I studied composition at Elder Hall.


1. Christian Haines. "Creative Communication." Lecture presented at University of Adelaide, 23/03/2006

2. Ibid

3. Jack Vees. 1982. "Surf Music II." CRI/Emergency. CD 730

4. Leisure Planet Music. "Jack Vees Biography." Date accessed 03/04/2006

5. David Harris. "Piano Piece '91". Performed by David Harris. EMU space, University of Adelaide, 23/03/2006

2 Comments:

At 8:32 pm, Blogger weimer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:34 pm, Blogger weimer said...

hey man,
speaking of ideas for instrument invention, one i have is for a drum machine that is played through something more similar to keyboard. As people are becoming/evolving to become more dexterous with their fingers, rather than their hands and feet, why not adapt the eletric drum kit. It would be small enough to have one strapped to each hand. imagine a drummer dancing around onstage with his fellow front-men, tapping away his fingers to pump out the beats. you could pull off some pretty crazy fills...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home