wired for sound

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Week 1 - Robin Minard

ROBIN MINARD (Sound Installation Artist)

The first thing I found interesting about Robin Minard's presentation was his interest in public space installations in reaction to widespread use of Muzak in the subways of Montreal.1 He didn't really explain if he had conquered the subways 'aural abuse' of it's passengers by installing his preferred soundscape. I wonder what they play today?

The second thing I noticed was his exploration of 'non-narrative' compositions. I too, have a personal interest in non-narrative compositions. He seemed to be involved in variety of projects that involved laborious and tedious set-up procedures. An example, is connecting 2500 1-bit speakers to 3km of speaker cable. I think he said it took 3 days to assemble! 2

In the piece he played, I enjoyed the slow build, the almost imperceptible changes that occurred as the track built up gradually. Another thing that was stimulating was his approach to colouring spaces with sound. How sound could be used change the emotional and psychological experience of an individual once they had entered the field.

I found it incredible, his handwritten work on frequencies and harmonics.3 The detail and intensive labour involved was fatiguing. There are probably 100+ software bundles, that today, could simulate the work he carried out 2 decades ago.


CREATIVE COMMUNICATION

This class seems like it will get better once we endure the process of learning how everything works, where things are located and what they are capable of doing. I feel, that at the moment, I am going to enjoy this aspect more than the audio arts component. That may change. I am looking forward to learning more about both aspects of MT. I really enjoy getting into software programs and sequencing MIDI.

AUDIO ARTS

I am definitely interested in learning more about live and studio recording, mixing, producing and mastering. At this point in time I don’t really have an interest in forging a career as a producer or engineer. I would much rather spend that time working on my own projects. Still it is a massive field, I am excited to studying how to get that ‘million dollar sound’!



1. Robin Minard. " Artist Talk - Sound Installation: art and practice." Lecture presented at Electronic Music Unit, EMU space, University of Adelaide, 2 March 2006.

2. ibid

3. ibid

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home